Sunday, August 8, 2010

Kichijoji Chinese Restaurant Symo Long

Hard to find good Chinese grub in Japan. It never quite feels authentic. Symo Long is probably the closest thing you’ll get in Kichijoji. The decor is what I call Chic peasant.

MAP

DSC_3865

This is not a big place but it packs a lot of charm. I’m alone tonight so I get the little table right under the stairs.

DSC_3871

Behind me are a couple of small tables and the entrance. The kitchen is open and can be seen from the street.

DSC_3876

Tonight I order their specialty: sholompo or Juicy pork dumplings. Usually they are steamed but here they steam and fry them a little in a pan. The result is a crispy dumpling that oozes juiciness when you take a bite.

DSC_3881

Sholompo close-up. Four for 550yen.

DSC_3883

Below is the Fried Rice with Black Shoyu (Soy Sauce). It’s of course a little saltier than you’re average rice, but the sauce adds a tanginess to the dish. You can’t see it very well because it’s one big brown mass, but there are tons of finely chopped vegetables in there. My conscience is safe.

DSC_3882

No comments:

Post a Comment